Hibernian 0-2 Aberdeen

Late goals from Aberdeen substitutes Scott Vernon and Gregg Wylde settled an enthralling contest against Hibernian.

Vernon netted a stunning strike, curling the ball home from the edge of the area to break the deadlock.

James Collins should have levelled in a frantic last 10 minutes, but shot wide after goalkeeper Jamie Langfield had taken a fresh air swipe at the ball.

Wylde raced on to Vernon's pass to convert and seal all three points, putting the Dons second in the league.

It was the winger's first goal since joining the club in the summer and sealed a second straight Scottish Premiership win for Derek McInnes's side.

Aberdeen were prominent in the the opening quarter of an hour with Hibs goalkeeper Ben Williams parrying away Mark Reynolds' fierce strike.

Dons forward Niall McGinn then fired just over after gliding past Scott Robertson and Ryan McGivern.

Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview - Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon

It took until the half-hour mark before Hibs became a threat in the game, but two chances in a minute almost gave them the lead.

Langfield had to spread himself to deny Paul Heffernan, then Liam Craig fired wide.

The Dons continued to look the more likely side and a 40-yard run by Ryan Jack opened up a chance for Calvin Zola but the former Burton Albion forward could only hit the side netting.

Back came the home side and Langfield denied Heffernan again following a good cross from Robertson.

Aberdeen began the second half in a similar vein to how they had started the match and Hibs captain James McPake had to throw himself in the way of McGinn's shot.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview - Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes

The one-way assault continued and both Zola and McGinn blasted over from inside the area with the goal gaping.

However, it was Hibs who should have broken the deadlock, Collins getting in the way of team-mate Rowan Vine's goal-bound shot.

It was a pivotal moment in the game, as seven minutes later Aberdeen took the lead.

Wylde robbed Lewis Stevenson of possession to find Zola's replacement Vernon on the edge of the area and he beat Williams with a superb finish.

There was more disappointment for the Hibs fans when Collins failed to take advantage of Langfield misjudging the ball.

And Wylde, who had replaced Peter Pawlett, sealed victory for the Dons in injury time, latching on to Vernon's pass to strike low into the net.